Emergency Care for Choking and Drowning Victims
Kimberly Brannon
Walden University
EDUC-1005-2
Professor Eissler
June 23, 2010
Emergency Care for Choking and Drowning Victims
My preschool class and I were outside eating sack lunches when one of the little boys in my class started clutching at his throat. He was choking on his ham sandwich. Because of my first aid training, I knew I had to respond immediately. I have been trained in basic first aid and rescue breathing, also I have been certified in CPR and I get recertified every year (Robertson, 2010, p.179).
I asked him if he could speak, but he could not. I had to take action. I grabbed my cell phone and called 911. Since he was conscious, I stood behind him with my arms around his waist, and I formed a fist with one hand. I placed my fist, thumb side in, between his ribs and waistline (Hering, 2005). I grabbed my fist with my other hand and made sure to keep my arms off of his rib cage. I gave four quick inward and upward thrusts. This procedure is popularly known as “The Heimlich Maneuver.” I repeated this one more time and the ham sandwich piece flew out of his mouth.
When the paramedics arrived, they took him to the hospital so that he could receive a thorough examination by a doctor. I called his parents and told them what happened. They thanked me and agreed to meet me at the hospital. My first aid training had helped to save a young life. I arranged for another teacher to take over my class so that I could go to the hospital. After the incident was over, I filled out a full and detailed report (Robertson, 2010, p. 179). I had already given all the parents of my students a notice of procedures for emergencies, evacuation plans depending on the situation, and our shelter-in-place plan (p.178). The parents have all the telephone numbers to the preschool and I gave all of them my home and cell phone numbers (p. 178). I include the parents one hundred percent in any emergency incident; it is my responsibility and their rights to this information (p.178). I encourage parents to keep a well stocked first aid kit at their home and in their vehicle. Also, I offer them videos that demonstrate first aid and CPR training and provide them with information on other facilities that offer classes. I inform them of the importance of keeping emergency contact information on their refrigerator, or somewhere that is easily visible, and in their cell phones.
Choking kills more than 3,000 people each year, according to the American Red Cross. Time is critical for a choking victim. Without oxygen, the brain begins to die within 4-6 minutes (Hering, 2005). Warning signs to look for in a choking victim are: an inability to talk, troubled or noisy breathing, the inability to cough forcefully, grabbing of the throat, a blue or grayish color to the lips, skin or nails, a look of panic, and loss of consciousness (Hering, 2005).
On another occasion, my preschool class and four other classes went on a field trip to a local lake for swimming and a picnic. We had 4 teachers, 20 parents and 88 students. The preschoolers were instructed not to go out in the water past their waist. One little girl managed to get out of her lifejacket and slipped under the water. The adult closest to her got her to the shore, but she was not breathing. The lifeguard proceeded to lay her on her back and began administering CPR. He began by checking her for unresponsiveness; when she did not respond, he tilted her head back and listened for any breathing (University of Washington School of Medicine, 1998). Then he pinched her nose and covered her mouth with his mouth and began to blow, giving 2 breaths, each breath was one second. This procedure is continued until you see the chest rise (U of W School of Medicine, 1998). She was not breathing yet, so the lifeguard began chest compressions. He used the heel of one hand for the chest compressions. He began to press the sternum approximately one-third the depth of her chest. He continued with 2 breaths and 30 pumps (U of W School of Medicine, 1998). I called 911 as soon as the child was brought ashore. The paramedics were there within 30 minutes. However, because of the fast action of the lifeguard, the child’s life was saved. She began to cough up water shortly after the lifeguard engaged in CPR on her. I covered her in warm blankets and held her in my arms. I called her parents and we agreed to meet at the hospital.
According to the Red Cross, swimming in a natural body of water is different from swimming in a pool (American Red Cross, 2010). Whenever you are around water, take steps to prepare for the unexpected, such as wearing a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket, also known as a personal floatation device (PFD). Teachers must ensure that the jacket fits correctly and are buckled and strapped correctly and that the buckles and straps are in good repair (American Red Cross, 2010). The life jackets should be tested prior to lake swimming in a swimming pool. The children should have this mastered before they go lake swimming (ARC, 2010).
Before the children are allowed in the water, the teachers and I must survey the environment and check the weather, check the water for fast-moving currents, look for hazards, such as rocks and debris, and also check for vegetation and animals in the water. Finally, we need to look for sudden drop-offs in the water and observe if there is active boating in the area (ARC, 2010). By taking these precautions, we can be more prepared and help to keep our group of children safe. We checked for physical hazards, we picked a day when the weather conditions were favorable; and we tested the water and are familiar with what is in it and around it. We know what our preschoolers swimming abilities are and we have an adequate adult to child ratio. However, this does not guarantee that an accident will not happen. That is why it is crucial that we have plans and procedures in place.
The children are only to swim in the designated areas and there should be a lifeguard on duty. It is our responsibility as teachers to provide constant active supervision and remain free from distractions (ARC, 2010). We should keep the preschoolers within arm’s reach. All children should wear life jackets at all times while in the water. Seconds count in a drowning emergency and quick response is crucial (ARC, 2010).
Only 6.4 percent of sudden cardiac arrest victims survive because the vast majority of those witnessing the arrest are people who do not know how to perform CPR (ARC, 2010). Teachers and parents can be prepared by taking the Red Cross first aid, CPR, and water safety courses (ARC, 2010). It is important to have the appropriate equipment, such as reaching or throwing equipment, a cell phone, life jackets, and a first aid kit. Remember, no child is ever “drown-proof” or water safe. Learning to swim well takes time. Do not expect that children will learn to swim in one set of lessons or even in one season (ARC, 2010)
Through proper planning, training, and having the appropriate supplies, teachers and parents can help safeguard children from potential danger. In the event of an emergency, know the correct steps to take and always have what you need at hand. While no child can be guaranteed protection from choking or drowning, through fast response and knowledge of what to do, teachers and parents can be prepared for emergencies and can possibly save a child’s life.
References
American Red Cross (2010). Be Red Cross Ready: Swimming Safely in Lakes, Rivers, and Streams. Retrieved June 22, 2010 from, http://www.redcross.org
Hering, B. (2005). How to Make a Difference in 15 minutes: Learn How to Help a Choking Victim. Retrieved June 22, 2010 from, http://charityguide.org/volunteer/fifteen/heimlich-maneuver-choking.htm
Robertson,C. (2010, 2007). Safety, Nutrition, and Health in Early Education (4th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning
University of Washington School of Medicine. (1998). Learn CPR: You Can Do It! Retrieved June 22, 2010 from, http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/
Kim,
You did a great job outlining the steps for emergencies that call for either The Heimlich Maneuver or CPR. If your emergency plan is executed correctly, you shouldn’t have to give direction to other staff members; they would already know what to do. This is why it is so important to be trained for emergencies but also to have well developed plans in place. I can see that you have carefully thought through both scenarios.
You did a great job on your application.
Hi Kimberly,
ReplyDeleteWhat an aweinspiring achievement to have saved a child's life because of your proper training and levelheadiness. You must be so proud. As we learned in our course this week its imperative to remain calm in order to achieve the most optmium result in emergencies (Robertson, C., 2010 p. 166), and from how I read your post, you seemed to be exactly that. What's interesting is, because of your calm and effective reationary procedures you saved a child's physical life, but you also effected the lives of the witnesses (I'm sure mostly children) with their mental assessment levels in ahuman generated emergency. Well done.
Best,
Deborah Crosland
References
Robertson, C. (2010). Safety, nutrition, and health in early education (4th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Cengage Learning.
Kimberly
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job on this post about choking and CPR. It is always safe to watch children around water because they can be dare devils and don't know the dangers of water. I really enjoyed reading this blog.
Hi Kimberly,
ReplyDeleteI know it is important to watch a child bcause they can fnd the simpliest things to choke on. I like yor blog about choking because it taught how to use the steps and what all should be done. Choking is very serious because a professional can lose the child's life if they have not practiced CPR! Safety is the key point in this blog! Great job; I loved your post.